Monday 16 April 2007

My First Week in Cambodia

I am now working in Cambodia after successfully obtained a transfer to one of subsidiaries. I landed in Phnom Penh on Sunday (8 April 2007) without one of my luggage - the big one which contains all my clothings and personal items. I went to work the next day in the clothes I arrived in. Luckily for me, I have another set of clothes for the night, otherwise, my clothes will be smelly. The next day I went to the airport to identify a luggage which has lost its tag. I was so happy to see it was mine-the tag was still on the bag with an additional tag - RUSH to PHN. Nothing was lost in the end.

It has been a week since I started work in Cambodia. Feeling bored, I have been coming to the office for the past 2 days yesterday and today, as the Cambodian are celebrating their Khmer New Year from 14 April 2007 to 16 April 2007. The town is quiet as my office is near the taxi station beside the central market. It was very noisy just before the new year as people are "balik kampung". It is an experience to watch the taxi passengers pack themselves into the "taxi" (van) like sardines, with motorcycle and people sitting on the roof too. Too bad, I did not carry my camera with me.

The weather is very hot right now which I am told will last until the end of May. The first thing I observed on the road, no one is carry an umbrella to shed themselves from the hot sun. It is very painful on your skin. Like me, I don't use an umbrella back home but I will need to use one here!!

No comments: