Tuesday 17 April 2007

Malaysian Mamak Shop

Yesterday and today, I have breakfast at a Malaysian Mamak shop called "Mamak's Corner" which is located on the next block from my office.

Inside the restaurant, there are posters of "Visit Malaysia" on the wall and on the table, you can see worn-out old newspaper, everyone's favourite, "The Star" which most likely have been left behind by Malaysians for the others who patronised the shop.

Listening to conversation among the customers, you will note that they are Malaysians as they were speaking in Mandarin, Cantonese and Hokkien and fluent English too. Even the term "kurang manis" is understood by the local waiter.

A plate of roti canai plus teh tarik yesterday cost me USD1.60 while a plate of nasi lemak plus teh tarik today cost me USD3.00.

Next dish - of course, the "mamak mee goreng"!!

3 comments:

Chan Kok Kuen said...

Now I know why they need to pay you such a high monthly allowance. Back in Malaysia, for USD3.00 you can have 5 plates of nasik lemak and 1 big jug of teh tarik!!!

Lye Hock said...

Ok ma...have to pay a little bit more to get some familiar food la. Maybe can consider opening a cafe there, huh?

Monica - Welcome to blogging!!

shrimp paste said...

Something to remind of home. But nothing compare to mum's. I might not be thousands of miles from home, but going back to Taiping, mum's cooking is something I would dearly look for. It certainly makes me feel a kid back then.