Saturday 23 June 2007

Driving in Phnom Penh

I am going to church today.. To rent a motor tutu for USD3.00 or not.. The CRV is outside the apartment building... I have the car key.. No Cambodian driving license.. I am on my own.. The temptation is there..

What the hack? Unlock the car. Got into the driver seat which is on the left hand side of the car. In Cambodia, you drive on the left side. Can you imagine driving a left handed car on your own for the first time. It is not as easy as in Malaysia.

Foremost, in Cambodia, it is defensive driving. You got to watch out for motorbikes that can come onto your lane from all directions especially at crossroad without or with traffic lights. It is an experience. To avoid driving through the numerous traffic lights on Monivong Blvd, I chose to drive a longer route through Norodom Blvd where I will come aross the Independent Monument which serves as a roundabout. I really could not decide which is the right way to give way at roundabout where traffic move anti-clockwise since this is a left hand drive traffic. Watching the traffic in Paris at the Arc (a roundabout too) last December, drivers are to give way to traffic coming from the right just like in Malaysia. But this place, drivers and motorists do not bother much about obeying traffic rules, you just have to force your way through the traffic.

What an experience! Needless to say since I am writing this in my blog. I have arrived safely back to my apartment.

1 comment:

Chan Kok Kuen said...

Wow must have been an frighthening experience driving for the first time on a left hand drive vehicle!!